Join me live on periscope.tv today, June 29 @ 11est, for decision time. Is one pick up and bind off enough or do I need to do two?
Month: June 2016
June 27, 2016 Status Update: what I’m working on
Hi everyone, I’ve been going through all the options for what ClubKnit could be, weighing this and that, including some things, excluding others . . . . its mind-boggling. I want it to be useful, within the Education, Inspiration, Community, but yet I have to make an income from it too. And, because we aren’t generating income, I have to do all the work myself. What to do, what to do . . . .
. . . . after having a day of knitting and discussions with some of my advisory board, I decided to close down the freebie version right now. That means if you are reading this and you haven’t paid to be a beta-subscriber, you got in under the wire. You’ll get to experience some of the educational things I’m going to post online as if you had paid for them. And, I’m going to test out how to write some content so there is a free part, followed by additional content for those who have paid for it. Do you want to be a paid member? But, I also closed it down because I have to switch shopping carts so the process of registering and becoming a member isn’t so goll-blamed confusing . . . . [go here to purchase a year membership at half off and help us pay our bills!]
In the meantime, I realize the site is still not pretty, so I’m working on learning how to use templates, how to make the typography, colors, and images all pretty. Its a challenge. I’m a technical person, not a designer, to be honest. Taking some classes, doing some research, learning a lot. And pictures! Oi! Instagram and pinterest are not my friend, but I’ll try, seriously, I will. If nothing else, you should see progress over time as I learn and develop new skills.
Projects can be hand or machine, usually have techniques or something that is unique. That I can learn something from, and teach someone else about. My intention is to produce classes and technique videos, .pdfs, and blog posts built around these projects.
[img_text_aside style=”2″ image=”https://clubknit.knittingtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/stormy_weather_kns-114×150.jpeg” image_alignment=”right” headline=”” alignment=”left”]
- Stormy Weather: A few things to finish up, the button bands, sew in the zipper, sew in all the ends, and block. I want to take this with me on July 22 for a conference. And, I also want to knit a denim one. Mine is ocean shades. After the knitting is done, I’ll format the videos for an online class, learn how to add the yarn to Knitting Today’s store website, and be ready to help others with their project. If you purchased this project already, can you let me know? I’ll add you to the project page so you can participate (unfortunately, I lost the data as to who ordered when I had to change computers).
[img_text_aside style=”1″ image=”https://clubknit.knittingtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/marsielle-150×150.jpg” image_alignment=”left” headline=”” alignment=”right”]
2. Marseille Tee: get started (want to wear to Launch Out conference, July 22). Techniques to discuss: gauge, growth during wearing, changing colors, garter stitch, fitting sleeve hole, neckline shaping, finishing, and gallery pages.
3. Socks: shoot video of sweet tomato heel and get moving so I have something to wear in the fall. (I also want to order more Twizzlefoot, from Mystery Yarn Club 2016, so I can knit a few more pairs).
[img_text_aside style=”1″ image=”https://clubknit.knittingtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Fisher-Lassie-0608.jpg” image_alignment=”right” headline=”” alignment=”left”]
4. Fisher Lassie Cardigan: my Cassidy from seven years ago is falling apart and its time for a new cardigan. I’m swatching a superwash DK weight yarn and if I like how it handles after washing, i’ll put it online as a project. I want to start taking orders in August with the knitting commencing in September. How long does it take to knit a gansey-style cardigan by hand?
5. Get It Out of the Box: originally intended for the USM, now being rewritten for the LK150. A series of projects and lessons designed to get the new-ish LK150 owner through some basic techniques and how-tos not included in the instructional.
6. Knitting Today News Issue 4, the cable issue: The plans have been written, even the articles, for many, many years. But I have to knit the projects. It was originally planned for the USM, I’m going to do it on the LK150 now.
[img_text_aside style=”1″ image=”https://clubknit.knittingtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/20160617_154924.jpg” image_alignment=”right” headline=”” alignment=”left”]
7. Reyna: started at Club Meetup June 17. I have a bunch of little hints & tips to keep track of where you are as well as some mini-technique videos to share.
So, hand knit count, 3; machine knit count 4. Rate your preferences by order of most interested to least. And, I also promise NOT to cast on or acquire any more projects until I have two knocked off. I really think 6 is about all I can handle. I might add some and be an instigator so you have some more projects, but me? . . . nah . . . I pinky-swear and promise. LOL.
What the heck is an ENFP?
I jumped on the bandwagon and did a free personality test at 16 Personalities. INTERESTING!! Obviously, as with any career change or life change, I’m also doing a lot of self-reflection and analyzing just what makes me tick. I’ve been helping knitters with their knitting since 1993. First in our home, then at the storefront, and now online. But I don’t want to get in over my head either and promise things I can’t do or that just are not in my nature to do (like graphic design??). And, the last thing I want to do is start a membership site and not be excited each and every time someone joins, I find a project to host as a knitalong, or come up with a class to teach. And, I want you, the knitter, to be inspired and want to check out the forums every day [yes, EVERY day!] so you can join in the community and talk about what inspires you. And, that you want to learn something new or different every time you see my blog posts cross your computer. What I have learned about myself recently can be summed up in a couple ways. Tara, my daughter, says I can be described as “one and done.” Don’t expect me to knit two of anything just because. It has to be because I’ll learn something new or try something different. And, I thrive on community and expectations — the more you comment, ask questions, and interact, the more likely I am to get things out there and done. AND, I am really enjoying the spontaneity of Periscoping. Sooooo, sitting in my home office with no personal contact either via computer or in person just will not do. If you bought something from me, please ask a question. Really, that’s what I do best, is figure out how to do things.
Back to it . . . comment away below, pretty please!!! — Lea-Ann
MYC2016-2: yarn now here!
What do you want to see here?
Hey ClubKnit members, I need some help!
Please comment below and ask me a question about your knitting. Or tell me what you want to see addressed in the monthly lesson for subscribers.
Thanks. I don’t want to leave you hanging, but so far I haven’t had a lot of ideas about just what to help you with.